Harbor Freight

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Oh Christmas Tree Oh Christmas Tree, how much can I save this year?


Christmas Items compete with Halloween Items on the store shelves and everyone’s mood seems to be a little lighter. It’s the gracious spirit of the season welcoming us with bright colored packages and excited children.
Though many of us haven’t given it a second thought, I wondered whether the “Green Energy” idea has trickled down into Christmas lighting. If you haven’t yet looked, do so. It has. I found some of the lighting actually nice compared to the standard light strings.
Looking forward to saving some green, I decided to see how much lighting the tree really costs. I also decided to get an idea of how much I spent last year using Christmas Lights.
When I took into account the use of our furnace and regular electricity usage I found that we actually spent just over $200.00 last year lighting the tree and other holiday lights. Whew! . . . Who would have thought that spreading Christmas Cheer would cost that much!
Lighting a tree with the standard light string can cost between $54.00 - $73.00 a month not counting the other decorations you may place outdoors or around the rest of the home.
As you can see from the chart below, going green can pay for itself the first year allowing you to pocket the extra savings during the remaining life of the light strings.

The cost of a replacement string ranges from $7.99 - $8.99, depending on whether you purchase Energy Star or not.

When comparing the cost of upgrading to “Green” Christmas Lights with the conventional lighting I have used in the past, I will definitely be upgrading this year.
Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree, it pays to go green this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment